EDITOR - CONTENT STRATEGIST - CONSULTANT
Award-winning results-driven editorial executive and content strategist expert at delivering innovative multimedia content for websites, newspapers, magazines and social media. Proven ability to reach, engage and monetize both mass audiences and high-value segments. Highly effective at leading cross-functional teams (editorial, digital, design, sales) in entrepreneurial initiatives that grow readership and drive revenue.
Areas of Expertise:
✔Editorial management ✔Community engagement ✔Strategic partnerships
✔Content marketing ✔Digital content strategy ✔Writing and editing
✔New product creation ✔Travel and tourism ✔Public Speaking
EXPERIENCE & ACHIEVEMENTS:
CONTENT MARKETING CONSULTANT, VS Content Strategies, Washington, DC (2014-present)
Provide innovative content marketing solutions for the travel industry, based on extensive experience leading editorial teams in the creation of award-winning multimedia content on all platforms. Services include: creating industry-leading content, developing content strategy, building audience and digital traffic, driving revenue, industry intelligence and analysis, and thought leadership.
EDITOR IN CHIEF, TRAVEL MEDIA GROUP, USA TODAY, McLean, VA (2007-2014)
- Grew travel website from No. 19 to No. 5 in comScore with 7 million unique visitors and 35 million page views per month.
- Positioned USA TODAY as national leader in travel news, enterprise and consumer service on multiple platforms.
- Directed staff of 16 reporters and editors plus freelance columnists.
- Won 17 editorial awards, including Best Travel Journalism Website.
- Drove multi-million dollar ad revenue via sponsored-content series.
- Launched five revenue-driving travel sites (with 45% YOY traffic growth) and three award-winning niche blogs.
- Forged traffic-generating content partnerships with ABC's "Good Morning America, Travel Channel, Food Network, U.S. Travel Association, Trip Advisor, Fodor’s, Princess Cruises and others.
- Created original city guides for first-of-its-kind digital portal for Hilton Worldwide.
- Sought-after speaker for travel industry and media conferences.
TRAVEL & FOOD EDITOR, USA TODAY (1998-2007)
Set editorial policy and oversaw all leisure travel and dining/food content. Managed six staff writers. Produced Destinations & Diversions weekend section, coordinating layout and photography with graphics staff. Traveled extensively to report stories and take photos.
EDITORIAL DIRECTOR, Caribbean Travel & Life, Inc., and EDITOR IN CHIEF, Caribbean Travel & Life magazine, Silver Spring, MD (1987 to 1997)
- Co-founded company.
- Launched all publications: Caribbean Travel & Life, a national consumer magazine; Tradewind, an in-flight magazine for ALM Antillean Airlines; Latitudes, an in-flight magazine for American Eagle Airlines; The Affordable Caribbean, a monthly newsletter; Caribbean for Two and The Caribbean Made Easy, newsstand-only annuals.
- Established Caribbean Travel & Life as leader in its niche with 20% annual advertising growth and as 2nd best-selling travel magazine on the newsstand.
- Won 16 awards for editorial excellence.
- Frequent speaker at publishing and travel industry conferences.
CONTRACT EDITOR, National Geographic Society, Washington, DC (1986-1987)
Wrote scripts for educational filmstrip series on Central America.
TRAVEL & ART EDITOR, Américas magazine, Organization of American States, Washington, DC (1978-1986)
- Assigned, edited, and wrote articles on Latin American and Caribbean travel and culture.
- Most frequently published author.
- Launched and edited special travel section.
- Founded and supervised annual inter-American photo contest.
VARIOUS EDITORIAL POSITIONS (pre-1978)
Stringer for Time-Life News Service in Niger, West Africa. Publications Assistant for Partners of the Americas, an international NGO.
Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA. B.A. degree (political science/international relations).
- 12 Lowell Thomas Awards, Society of American Travel Writers, including Best Travel Journalism Website (Bronze); Best Travel Blog (Gold); Best Travel Magazine (Silver).
- 7 North American Travel Journalists Association Awards, including Best Travel Journalism Website (Gold); Best Travel Blog (Gold); Best Destination Story (Gold).
- Asia Pacific Journalism Fellowship, East-West Center.
- 2 Online News Association Awards, including Best Topical Reporting.
- 2 EPPY Awards for Best Business Blog.
- Marcia Vickery-Wallace Memorial Award in Travel Journalism.
- 2 Magazine Week Awards for Best Destination Travel Magazine.
- 2 Magazine and Booksellers Awards for Best Newsstand Covers.
- 3 Ozzie Awards for Magazine Design Excellence.
Published in USA TODAY, Caribbean Travel & Life, National Geographic Traveler, ISLANDS, Worth, United HEMISPHERES, Boston Globe, Los Angeles Times, EUROPE, Latitudes, Americas, Eastern Review, Capital Style, RedBulletin.com, YahooTravel.com, BedandBreakfast.com, Worthly.com, Craft International, Nuestro, Aboard, Hispanic Review of Business, La Raza Habla
TEACHING & BROADCAST:
- Faculty member: SATW Institute for Travel Writing and Photography, 2006-2010.
- On-air expert on "Best Beaches of the World," a 12-part series on the Travel Channel. Interviewed on various local TV stations.
Society of American Travel Writers, Online News Association, North American Travel Journalists Association, Society of Professional Journalists
Extensive international travel (100+ countries).
Fluent in Spanish. Basic French and German.