EDITOR - CONTENT STRATEGIST - CONSULTANT
Award-winning results-driven editorial executive and content strategist expert at innovative multimedia content for websites, newspapers, magazines and social media. Proven ability to reach, engage and monetize both mass audiences and high-value segments. Highly effective at leading cross-functional teams (editorial, digital, design, sales) in entrepreneurial initiatives that grow readership and drive revenue.
Areas of Expertise:
✔Editorial management ✔Community engagement ✔Strategic partnerships
✔Content marketing ✔Digital content strategy ✔Writing and editing
✔New product creation ✔Travel and tourism ✔Public Speaking
EXPERIENCE & ACHIEVEMENTS:
CONTENT MARKETING CONSULTANT, VS Content Strategies, Washington, DC (2015-present)
Provide innovative content marketing solutions for the travel industry, based on extensive experience leading editorial teams in the creation of award-winning multimedia content on all platforms. Services include: creating industry-leading content, developing content strategy, building audience and digital traffic, driving revenue, industry intelligence and analysis, and thought leadership.
EDITOR IN CHIEF, TRAVEL MEDIA GROUP, USA TODAY, McLean, VA (2007-2014)
- Grew travel website from No. 19 to No. 5 in comScore with 7 million unique visitors and 35 million page views per month.
- Positioned USA TODAY as national leader in travel news, enterprise and consumer service on multiple platforms.
- Directed staff of 16 reporters and editors plus freelance columnists.
- Won 17 editorial awards, including Best Travel Journalism Website.
- Drove multi-million dollar ad revenue via sponsored-content series.
- Launched five revenue-driving travel sites (with 45% YOY traffic growth) and three award-winning niche blogs.
- Forged traffic-generating content partnerships with ABC's "Good Morning America, Travel Channel, Food Network, U.S. Travel Association, Trip Advisor, Fodor’s, Princess Cruises and others.
- Created original city guides for first-of-its-kind digital portal for Hilton Worldwide.
- Sought-after speaker for travel industry and media conferences.
TRAVEL & FOOD EDITOR, USA TODAY (1998-2007)
Set editorial policy and oversaw all leisure travel and dining/food content. Managed six staff writers. Produced Destinations & Diversions weekend section, coordinating layout and photography with graphics staff. Traveled extensively to report stories and take photos.
EDITORIAL DIRECTOR, Caribbean Travel & Life, Inc., and EDITOR IN CHIEF, Caribbean Travel & Life magazine, Silver Spring, MD (1987 to 1997)
- Co-founded company.
- Launched all publications: Caribbean Travel & Life, a national consumer magazine; Tradewind, an in-flight magazine for ALM Antillean Airlines; Latitudes, an in-flight magazine for American Eagle Airlines; The Affordable Caribbean, a monthly newsletter; Caribbean for Two and The Caribbean Made Easy, newsstand-only annuals.
- Established Caribbean Travel & Life as leader in its niche with 20% annual advertising growth and as 2nd best-selling travel magazine on the newsstand.
- Won 16 awards for editorial excellence.
- Frequent speaker at publishing and travel industry conferences.
CONTRACT EDITOR, National Geographic Society, Washington, DC (1986-1987)
Wrote scripts for educational filmstrip series on Central America.
TRAVEL & ART EDITOR, Américas magazine, Organization of American States, Washington, DC (1979-1986)
- Assigned, edited, and wrote articles on Latin American and Caribbean travel and culture.
- Most frequently published author.
- Launched and edited special travel section.
- Founded and supervised annual inter-American photo contest.
Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass. B.A. degree (political science/international relations).
- 12 Lowell Thomas Awards, Society of American Travel Writers, including Best Travel Journalism Website (Bronze); Best Travel Blog (Gold); Best Travel Magazine (Silver).
- 7 North American Travel Journalists Association Awards, including Best Travel Journalism Website (Gold); Best Travel Blog (Gold); Best Destination Story (Gold).
- Asia Pacific Journalism Fellowship, East-West Center.
- 2 Online News Association Awards, including Best Topical Reporting.
- 2 EPPY Awards for Best Business Blog.
- Marcia Vickery-Wallace Memorial Award in Travel Journalism.
- 2 Magazine Week Awards for Best Destination Travel Magazine.
- 2 Magazine and Booksellers Awards for Best Newsstand Covers.
- 3 Ozzie Awards for Magazine Design Excellence.
Published in USA TODAY, Conde Nast Traveler, National Geographic Traveler, AARP The Magazine, AARP Bulletin, Caribbean Travel & Life, ISLANDS, Worth, United HEMISPHERES, American Way, Boston Globe, Los Angeles Times, EUROPE, Latitudes, Americas, Eastern Review, Capital Style, Frommers.com, CruiseCritic.com, ThePointsGuy.com, TravelAwaits.com, RedBulletin.com, YahooTravel.com, BedandBreakfast.com, InsidersGuidetoSpas.com, and Aboard.
TEACHING & BROADCAST:
- Faculty member: SATW Institute for Travel Writing and Photography, 2006-2010.
- On-air expert on "Best Beaches of the World," a 12-part series on the Travel Channel.
- Interviewed on various national TV and radio stations and podcasts.
Society of American Travel Writers, North American Travel Journalists Association
Extensive international travel (110+ countries).
Spanish. Basic French and German.